Letter to Host Institutions
The Society of Wood Science and Technology invites you to participate in the SWST Visiting Scientist Program as a “host Institution”. Please fill out a Request to Participate Form (PDF) and send it to the Executive Office. You may also request a list of available visiting scientists from the Executive Office at the address below.
The procedure to participate as a host institution is as follows:
- Fill out the request to participate form and return to the address on the bottom of the form. In selecting a Visiting Scientist, please consider the cost associated with cross-country travel since the Program has a limited budget. Note that the form has a convenient entry in which you can offer to contribute the the Visiting Scientist Program to permit us to cover more visits.
- The request will be reviewed by the Visiting Scientist Program Committee, who will contact both the institution and the Visiting Scientist. This is a very important step, since we are many times able to coordinate multiple visits by the same Scientist.
- Once the visit has been approved, the institution and scientist will be asked to arrange the details of the visit (dates, subject, etc).
- The host institutions are to provide lodging, meals, and local transportation for the Visiting Scientist. The normal visit is one to two days. The host institution will also be expected to arrange for appropriate “PR” to maximize the value of the visit.
- Following the visit, the requesting member at the host institution will be asked to provide a report on the visit. This will be published in the bimonthly SWST Newsletter. The Visiting Scientist Program will reimburse the scientist for travel expenses.
The SWST Visiting Scientist list includes only SWST members in good standing. If you are interested in a visit by someone not listed, please be sure to note that on the request form. Since the Program is supported through SWST member dues, the policy is to approve visits by SWST members only.
If you have any special programs or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Visiting Scientist Program
Society of Wood Science and Technology
P.O. Box 6155
Monona, WI 53716