swst theme:
Technology Advancement and Marketing Practices in Biomass

Travel and Transportation


Austin Bergstrom International Airport: (Airline Code AUS)  

AirTran Airways
Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
Delta Air Lines
Frontier Airlines
JetBlue Airways
Southwest Airlines
United Airlines
US Airways

Airport to Hotel

The hotel doesn't have a shuttle from the airport but you can use Super Shuttle, phone 001-800-258-3826.  The cost is $14 per person, one way and it is a shared shuttle with other hotels so the travel time could be 30+ minutes.  The other option is to take a taxi which costs about $28.

AT&T Conference Center

Area Around AT&T Center:   Valuable information about restaurant and shops on the streets around the hotel/convention center.
Attire: Business casual attire for meetings.
Business hours: Mon-Fri: 08:30-17:00. Shops: Mon-Sat: 10:00-21:00, Sun: 11:00-19:00

Traveling to Austin

Climate: Austin has a humid subtropical climate , characterized by hot summers with prevailing humid winds from the Gulf of Mexico and mild winters.  Weather forecast for Austin

Currency: The US Dollar ($) is the currency for Austin and all of USA.

ATM/Currency Exchange/Banks: You can use ATM machines as in other parts of the world. Visa, Mastercard, , American Express and Discover cards are all used in the USA.  Travelers Checks are also accepted.

Bank of America has 4 ATMs in the Austin airport terminal. One ATM is in the non-ticketed area between Fara's Cafe and United Heritage Credit Union. Two ATM machines are past security, both are speech accessible (requires a headphone, not provided). The first in on the east side of the concourse, across from Gate 7 on the north wall. The second is on the west side, across from Gate 13, on the north wall left of the elevator. Another is in Baggage Claim, near carousel 4 and the Valet Return counter.

Conversions from other currencies

Electricity: Electricity in United States of America / USA is 120 Volts, alternating at 60 cycles per second. If you travel to United States of America / USA with a device that does not accept 120 Volts at 60 Hertz, you will need a voltage converter.

There are three main types of voltage converter. Resistor-network converters will usually be advertised as supporting something like 50-1600 Watts. They are light-weight and support high-wattage electrical appliances like hair dryers and irons. However, they can only be used for short periods of time and are not ideal for digital devices.

Transformers will have a much lower maximum Watt rating, usually 50 or 100. Transformers can often be used continuously and provide better electricity for low wattage appliances like battery chargers, radios, laptop computers, cameras, mp3 players and camcorders. However, they are heavy because they contain large iron rods and lots of copper wire.

Some companies sell combination converters that include both a resistor network and a transformer in the same package. This kind of converter will usually come with a switch that switches between the two modes. If you absolutely need both types of converter, then this is the type to buy.

Outlets in United States of America / USA generally accept 1 type of plug: Flat blade plugFlat blade plug. f your appliances plug has a different shape, you may need a plug adapter.

Health: There are no major health concerns, the drinking water is monitored and chlorinated, and the general standard of hygiene is high. Bottled water is still a good idea if you aren’t sure of the sterility.

Closest medical facilities
University Medical Center Brackenridge
601 East 15th Street, Austin, TX 78701
Phone: 512.324.7000

Insurance: The Society of Wood Science and Technology is not responsible for the insurance of participants against personal injuries, sickness and theft or property damage incurred during the convention period. Concerned participants should obtain insurance coverage.

Language: The official language is English.

Mobile phones are GSM or CDMA. You can buy prepaid SIM cards if your phone accepts them. You can also rent/buy temporary cell phones. Cell phone rental/purchase: www.mobal.com

Passport & Visa: Most Canadian citizens and many citizens from Visa Waiver Program countries can come to the United States (U.S.) without a visa if they meet certain requirements. All Visa Waiver Program travelers must present a machine-readable passport at the U.S. port of entry to enter the U.S. without a visa; otherwise a U.S. visa is required. See important information about additional digital photograph and e-passport requirements for VWP travelers. Other foreign citizens will need a nonimmigrant visa.

Currently, 37 countries* participate in the Visa Waiver Program, as shown below:

Andorra Hungary New Zealand
Australia Iceland Norway
Austria Ireland Portugal
Belgium Italy San Marino
Brunei Japan Singapore
Czech Republic Latvia Slovakia
Denmark Liechtenstein Slovenia
Estonia Lithuania South Korea
Finland Luxembourg Spain
France Malta Sweden
Germany Monaco Switzerland
Greece the Netherlands Taiwan
United Kingdom

Time Zone: UTC/GMT -5 hours, Central Standard Time.   Compare your time to Austin time.

Tipping: Although tips are not obligatory, a 15% tip is normal in restaurants.  Minimal tips are also given to taxis and bell staff.

Useful Telephone Numbers:

International dialing code for United States is +001
Austin area code: 512
Ambulance, Fire, Police Emergency: 911
Tourist Information:  1-866-462-8784
Local directory assistance: 411
Visa Card Hotline:   1-800-847-2911
MasterCard Hotline:  1-800-307-7309

As an example, if you were calling from the Austin, Texas, USA to Vienna, Austria, you would call 011-43-1-plus number. If you are calling from Vienna, Austria to Austin, Texas, USA you would call 001-512-plus number. Check your particular dialing codes

Embassy Contact Addresses: A list of addresses, phone numbers, email/website, and hours for foreign embassies in the USA is found at:  http://www.state.gov/s/cpr/rls/dpl/32122.htm

Things to do in Austin, Texas

Things to do in Texas, USA