The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (NYSE: SMG) is the world’s largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden products, with a full range of products for professional horticulture as well. Scotts Miracle-Gro has helped to grow the nearly $7 billion global consumer lawn and garden market through product innovation, industry-leading advertising efforts and its trusted brands. Scotts is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug free work place.
The Process and Formulation Material Specialist will work with Formulation Scientists to support the formulation development from bench-top experiments to commercial launch. This position requires a broad base knowledge of natural and wood type materials applicable to the manufacturing of growing media and soil based products. This will include material evaluation and characterization of raw materials and final formulations. The Specialist will be able to develop and conduct appropriate tests to establish material performance and modify materials appropriately to satisfy final product requirements. The ideal candidate will have a background in material science, chemistry, wood science, biology, or similar.
The Specialist will also conduct research, prepare formulations, conduct laboratory tests, analyze results, and prepare appropriate documentation. The candidate will prepare samples for stability testing and help analyze results. The candidate will develop and create raw material and formulation specifications within Scotts’ Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) documentations system. The candidate will also interact directly with Packaging Development, Biology, Marketing, Purchasing, and Supply Chain in order to facilitate these activities.
- Prepare formulations, conduct laboratory test, record and analyze results
- Characterize materials for quality assurance
- Create, route, and approve raw material and finished good specifications
- Provide hands-on support for various activities including manufacturing trials
- Design and conduct pre-formulation, formulation development, process development, process optimization, scale up and manufacturing and solve complex problems
- Perform all project tasks in compliance with corporate Environmental, Health, and Safety principles
- Maintain laboratory and storage upkeep including chemical and equipment supply
- BS in Chemistry, Biology, Material Science, Environmental Science, Natural Sciences, Wood Science, or similar degree
- Broad awareness of consumer lawn and garden products and practices; hands-on experience is desirable
Skills and Abilities:
- Attention to detail and excellent computer skills
- Scientific curiosity and rigor
- Networking skills to build support system and seek out new technologies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Come Grow with Scotts, where the grass really is greener!
To apply: Please visit our career-site! www.scotts.com/careers – Job # is 140001127
Scotts is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug free workplace. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Please note that the Scotts Miracle-Gro company does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval to submit resumes to an approved requisition, the Scotts Miracle-Gro company will not consider or approve payment regarding recruiter fees or referral compensations. For information on how to become an approved vendor please see out Third Party Agency notification on our career portal.